At Wheeler Heights Public School, we have a growing and successful band program, currently involving over 90 children across three separate playing levels of bands. The program is run by a committee of volunteers, the conductors and supported by the school. Our aim is to provide a fun and enjoyable musical experience for students and parents.
Music Education is a primary means by which an educational institution can transmit to its students the cultural heritage of society. Music transcends barriers of ethnic background, economic status, language, and even literacy in its power to reach the depths of the human soul.
The mental discipline and thought processes required in the study of music are applicable in all fields of endeavor. Experiences with music develop a student's ability to make value judgments, to function logically as well as intuitively, and to utilize one's innate creativity.
Participation in performances encourages initiative and leadership in the students, stimulates goal-oriented thought processes, creates an appreciation and respect for the efforts of others, and assists students to develop a sense of responsibility to themselves, the school, and in a broad sense, society.
We aim to provide a positively rewarding experience for each student, unlike any other activity, by:
- Providing students with the opportunity for worthy use of their time, a means for expression, and a healthy social experience.
- Developing abilities to function as a responsible member of a team.
- Fostering teamwork and leadership skills in each student.
- Providing for the needs of the community.
- Learning about music through its actual performance.
- Developing performance skills on students' primary instruments.
- Developing a high sense of appreciation for, and critical discrimination of, quality music.
The success of any group of people or individual is directly related to attitude. Your attitude is an individual choice, made by you and you alone. Attitude can be the difference between reaching your full potential or not; you will move in the direction that you are thinking.
Is Band "Fun"?
There are other words that describe the band experience such as challenging, fulfilling, emotional, and passionate --- there is almost no experience that is more REWARDING! The enjoyment of band comes from the interaction of people that ultimately leads to great music making, which in turn creates an overall worthwhile and memorable (and fun!) experience. We believe it takes "fun" to a whole new level.